Ryokan College, An Education Leader
Founded in 1978, Ryokan College is a private, nonprofit, coeducational institution of higher learning that offers Bachelor of Arts in Human Behavior, Master of Arts in Psychology or Counseling Psychology (for MFT licensure in California) and Doctor of Psychology in Clinical Psychology (for licensure in California) or in Marriage and Family Therapy (Psy.D.). Continuing Education Units (CEU) are also available.
Ryokan College is dedicated to educating students in psychology, the basis of human awareness, effective communication, and healthy relationships. Through online programs comprised of synchronous classes that foster these educational goals, as well as self-growth, the College is able to prepare adult learners for professional careers in behavioral health so they can guide individuals to improve their lives and ultimately the well-being of the global community.
GOALS FOR THE PUBLIC GOOD
- Students will attain the knowledge and skills relevant to the profession of mental health/behavioral health service.
- Students will develop effective verbal and written communication skills that will reflect their comprehension and knowledge of the domain of psychology and mental health service.
- Students will develop critical thinking skills demonstrated by the ability to engage in research, and effective utilization of information technology. This includes the ability to critically analyze qualitative and quantitative data.
- Students will gain a core comprehension of professional ethics and applicable laws that reflect the capacity to use this knowledge in assessment decision-making and interventions.
- Students will develop and apply an understanding of diversity including particular sensitivity to the variety of perspectives held by individuals and groups.
- Students will enhance personal development through experiential learning, group collaboration and practiced interpersonal skills.
- Students will utilize analytic and critical thinking skills in the comprehension of facts, ideas and be able to communicate effectively with others.
- Students will be committed to increasing scientific and professional knowledge of behavior and people’s understanding of themselves and others and to the use of such knowledge to improve the condition of individuals, organizations, and society.
Note: Discover more about programs, learning outcomes and courses descriptions in the catalog under “External links.” Table of Contents is on page 5 of the catalog.
Find out whats happening inside Ryokan and our current events. Click on the link below to find out more about the current happenings.
Unique Education Approach
Education for a special niche of students, offering affordable tuition, class schedules for working adults, and definite beginning and end dates.
"I chose Ryokan because it was convenient, flexible and affordable. I still work, have a family, take care of my aged mom, own a home, etc. The online classes work best for my busy lifestyle. Without their flexibility, I would not pursue this."
"I had attended two California State Universities and received a Master’s Degree from each before attending Ryokan College to acquire my doctorate in Clinical psychology. My second Master’s Degree was from California State University at Dominguez Hills—the program was completely online and there was virtually no difference in the quality of education I received from an accredited California state university and Ryokan college."
"My experience at Ryokan from the initial interview through graduation was one of encouragement, motivation and compassion. I have referred others to Ryokan without hesitation knowing first hand that the school is always a part of my mind and I will always be grateful to Ryokan for giving me that chance."